Thursday, December 20, 2012

Christmas Letter 2013


They showed up out of nowhere, just weeks after we had moved into a new place and a new chapter of our lives.  A small congregation of juncos found their way to us and I could tell by the way they took to the feeder in the dogwood tree and took cover in the nearby bush just under the kitchen window that they were planning to see us through the winter.  They quickly determined this was “home” for a while and I think they were well aware that they were being admired from the other side of the brick every morning.  Upon moving here, one of the first things I did was put up bird feeders…and I waited.  It didn’t take long for them to find us…cardinals, woodpeckers, chickadees, juncos and most recently, a pair of blue birds are inspecting a house I hung on a sturdy pine.  They are my angels…time and time again, they seem to show up when I need them the most…reminding me I am not alone here and pouring beauty over my life with the grace of their flight and the secrets in their songs.    It is a gift that no dollar amount can measure.

I can’t say I never would’ve thought I would find myself here – in emotional and financial chaos  – for no other reason than the simple fact that, it can happen to anyone on any given day.  We are not self-made people and we only have so much control over the circumstances of our lives.   I have my tendencies towards arrogance, but not to the point of not knowing my place next to any and all creatures of mankind.  As far as I can see, we are all next in line for a spot on the homeless or bankruptcy list – we just don’t know it.

Despite this fact, my human nature has found me drifting now and then into states of denial & dread about the reality that I face ahead.  But I have no cause for fear because I have been reminded in some of the most profound ways that we are not walking through this chapter alone.  Just like those birds that always show up when I need them most, so does my God and the incredible people around me that He uses to display the loving way he stoops down to wherever I am (Psalm 18:35) just to raise me up and send me off into flight on the wings of his sufficient grace.

That sufficient grace has come in so many unexpected ways, like feathers falling from the sky, composing a secret message just for me (and my girls). I found “feathers” from friends who took us in or gave us a temporary place to stay, wanting nothing in return.  I found more feathers left anonymously for me at my favorite coffee shop in the form of a generous gift card, and there was the time a friend put gas in my car when, unbeknownst to that kind soul, I didn’t know how I was going to make that nagging “empty” gas light go off.  More feathers were falling when a friend gave me a job and I could’ve made a comforter out of the bounty of feathers that fell all around me through the generosity of several people who gave me an opportunity to regain my footing emotionally and financially.  And they kept coming…feathers of support , encouragement, a listening ear, time, help and empathy freely given to my daughters, help moving things I couldn’t handle by myself, an unexpected check in the mail and so much more (you all know who you are).  And just the other day, I picked up a trunkful of feathers in the form of Christmas gifts and gift cards for my daughters from a local church...a flock of beauty we have yet to meet.  Yet they took it upon themselves to do something for them that I cannot do this year – even Black Friday wouldn’t have helped me this year.  I was blown away by their generosity, but I think my favorite part was a card from a 96-year old woman, who included $2 in cash because she wanted to help give us a good Christmas.  And did she ever!  If I know anything, I know that God loves to take what we give to Him, no matter how small, split it wide open and multiply it in immeasurable ways.  This Christmas, I have a valuable and powerful gift to give back to those who are next in line for chaos…$2 in feathers and faith…and it never would’ve happened if not for the exact place I stand at this point in time.  I have been given the honor of being a part of a miracle that I already know will keep giving for eternity.  That is a deal no Black Friday can touch!


Merry Christmas and may your blessings be multiplied in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment