Sunday, December 9, 2012

George's Pizza, Pasta & Joy


I love this place!  The food is always good and the couple who run this operation are always pleasant and full of joyful life.  Now I know good and well that they are not riding on any gravy train.  Every time I’ve ever come in here, they are here, hard at work, but they work hard with smiles on their faces and theirs is the kind of smile that takes a whole lot more than mere facial muscles can produce.  Theirs is a smile that can only come from Real Joy.

I can’t help but be curious enough to want to ask one of them what they feel is the source of their joy.  I am certain I know the answer, but I think I will ask anyway.  I ask the bright-eyed man, as he walks by my table, “Where does your joy come from?” and to my surprise, he answers with a reply that sounds more life a question “Because this is business and we have to(?)”.  Unsatisfied with his answer because even though it is not a lie – it is not the truth, I prod him again to let him know that I am now ready for the real answer.  He accepts my invitation and begins to tell me that he loves being in the restaurant business.  He went on to tell me that he used to be an accountant and he left that behind for this.   “Now we’re getting somewhere,” I thought.  He told me about some of the frustrations and hardships of the business but they couldn’t  hold a candle to the becoming light in his smiling eyes. 

Just as I was about to get up from the table, he pointed at my Bible and said “Pray for me…and my business.”  I gladly committed myself to his request and then he told me how glad he was to see someone pray before eating their meal and that people still read “the good book”.  AHA!!  I thought.  That was the answer I was waiting for.  That was the real source of his joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment