Saturday, May 19, 2012

Praying Over “The Incident”


To the young man in the parking lot who sat in his car doing something highly inappropriate while my daughter and I were getting back in the car:

You are very fortunate that my 10-year old daughter did not see what you were doing in your car because it would’ve taken all I had not to drag you out of your seat and go  Chuck Norris on you in public with your pants down.  That being said, I am thankful for all of us, but mostly my daughter, that she will grow another day closer to adulthood without having been scarred by things children should never have to see.  
I want you to know that even though it made me angry and I did not hesitate to call the cops on you, I know you will most likely not be caught for your actions and that makes my heart heavy.  Not because I want to see you punished, but because I want to see you healed.  I don’t know your story.  I don’t know why you did what you did today or how long you have been doing things like this or what other types of inappropriate things you may do now or in the future if something doesn’t stop you in your tracks.  I just know that punishment alone will not heal it.  So my prayer for you is this:
“Father, I saw one of your beloved children struggling today and you saw it too.  What he did hurt himself and others and I ask you to reveal that to him and give him the courage to seek the help he needs to overcome his struggle.  People think it’s funny, God.  But you are not laughing.  You see the pain and terror behind it.  Please show this man how much you love him and that he matters in this world and that you had more planned for him than THIS.  Please allow him to look at his own face in the mirror and see Jesus looking back at him.  Give him your glory in place of his shame and send him out into the world to help others who struggle in similar ways because Lord, you and I both know, there are FAR TOO MANY JUST JUST LIKE HIM.”
AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment