Thursday, July 28, 2011

Welcome!

Thanks for visiting Talitha cumi!  I have been doing a lot of writing over the past several months and just feel the need to share it in hopes that some of the things I write may bring hope, comfort, inspiration and encouragement to others.  I have always found art and writing to be healing and empowering and that has never been more true for me than in the past year or so.  Some of what you will see on this blog is a little on the dark side, some posts will be full of hope and others are somewhere in-between.  Whatever you find, I hope something speaks to you. 

To give you an idea of who I am and what you may see me write about, I am a lover & follower of Jesus Christ.  I don't consider myself a democrat or a republican, nor do I believe that God supports one or the other. I love America and our troops and their families (past and currrent) who have sacrificed so much to protect everything it stands for.  I know our nation has many problems, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world and I consider almost daily what my life would be like had I simply been born on another part of the earth - it's not a pretty thought.  Even still, there is always work to be done and I try not to complain unless I intend to also do whatever I may be capable of to be part of the solution.  One of the most important issues for me at this juncture (and has been for the past 3 1/2 years) is the issue of human trafficking.  I have felt most passionate about dealing with the issue of sex trafficking in the US (and YES, it happens in the US to our daughters and sons, even in Prince William County), but there will be more to come on that because I have much to say.

I am a full-time mom who intensely loves her family and yours and wants to see all families thrive.  I treasure children and teenagers and I feel we (our world) are failing them and that most systems in any country, state or neighborhood (some worse than others) just do not protect them or value them enough to make them a priority.  I volunteer in the local juvenile detention centers and other places where I see struggling youth, abused, addicted, neglected and nowhere safe to go.  We as adults are too quick to judge young children - we see their behavior and mark them as "trouble", "bullies", "promiscuous".  We look at the "WHAT" instead of the "WHY".  I say "we" because I have been guilty of those judgements far too many times.  No I am asking God to let me see others through His eyes.  Most of us don't know the nightmares that some kids are living right under our noses.  It could be your next door neighbor, your straight-A student or the teenager who is always cracking jokes in your church youth group.  AHHHH, see there I go - you can tell what I am most passionate about.  I didn't intend to make this a loooong introduction, so I'll save the rest of my thoughts for another time. 

Again, thanks for visiting and please know that you are important to God.  He has a special place in His heart reserved for only YOU and only YOU can fill that particular space!   

Beauty for Ashes,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment